All individuals below the age of 18 are considered children. All children should ideally be attending school and receiving an education. During these years you might receive an offer to start a sexual relationship. This might be based on an existing relationship that you have or based on a friendship.
|Remember, do the right thing at the right time in your life! Achieve the maximum that you can in your life!|
However ask yourself if your teenage years is the best time for you to start a sexual relationship.
Here are some things you need to know…
1) Sexual relationships with individual below 16 years is illegal – In Sri Lanka its illegal for anyone under the age of 16 years to engage in sexual relations. If you have have had sexual relations with someone under the age of 16 years old you may have committed a crime and maybe punishable under the Penal Code of Sri Lanka. Therefore we strongly discourage children below the age of 16 years from engaging in sexual relationships.
2) Individuals between the ages of 16 years and 18 years can decide if they want to start start a sexual relationship- If you are between the age of 16 years and 18 years, then the choice of whether you want to start a sexual relationship is in your hands. Teens this age are given the right to decide based on the principal of evolving capacity. However each teen is different, some might be more capable of making such decisions while others maybe less capable.
3) Do you have all the information you need before making a decision. Decide if you have all the accurate information before making such decision. You might talk about this with your friends and get their opinions. Some friends might encourage you while others may not. But this is your decision to make, so make sure you have all relevant information.
4) Is it the height time to start a sexual relationship? As k yourself if this is the best time to start a sexual relationship. This is a critical time period for you in terms of your education. You might be getting ready to sit for your A/Ls. If you are able to lay a solid foundation for your education during these years then your future becomes more secure. Additionally during this period of your life you may have other commitments such as extra curricular activities, including sports that you want to pay attention to.
5) Are you making this decision based on your free will – If you are being pressured to start a sexual relationship, evaluate the foundations of your relationship. Are you in a strong and positive relationship?
6) What do I loose if I don’t start a sexual relationship now- Think carefully about what you loose if you don’t start a sexual relationship. If someone says that they will stop having a relationship with you if you don’t start a sexual relationship, then take time and evaluate the relationship. Is this really a relationship that you want to cultivate?
|If you have been abused sexually report to your nearest police station. If you need immediate medical attention please go to your nearest Government hospital.
Remember to report the sexual abuse to the hospital police. You can also call the National Child Protection Authority on 1929 if you want to make a complaint. This is a toll-free,24-hour telephone line dedicated to taking complaints.These organizations are there to support you.